Thursday, August 31, 2006

Maui Bro... aka Rob and Ashley's Wedding

I know I promised to post every other day or so, but same old same old is that I've been so busy I haven't had the time. Well here I am at the end of the first week of my last year in law school, and I have a few moments so I thought I'd post...

After flying back from New England I spent a few days in Arizona. Only a few days though because it was off to Hawaii for Rob and Ashley's wedding. My flight from Phoenix to Maui was delayed by 7 hours. The flight itself was only 5 1/2 hours. Amazingly everyone maintained a positive disposition. Maybe because we all knew at the end of the flight we would be in Paradise...

Being a poor student I did my trip on the cheap. I stayed at a hostel instead of a hotel or a condo(like some of my working friends did). I rented the cheapest car I could and relied on the kindness of others. I think in the 10 days I was there I only slept at the hostel 3-4 times. I used it mainly as a place to leave my clothes and a place to crash if I felt like I was imposing on anyone...

It was so much fun hanging out with some of my closest friends and almost all of my college buddies. We took over bars and shut places down just like we used to do back in the day. I spent lots of time exploring the island and the beaches. On the second day I was there I went on a snorkeling trip as a guest of a friend's friend. Long story short $185 trip for a $20 tip, like I said a poor student...

One of the most exciting things I did while I was in Maui was go to the top of Haleakala. It is what is left of the volcano that formed the island. It stands over 10,000 ft tall. The drive takes about 2 hours from the base(sea level) to the top(2 miles high). It is a little disconcerting when you are driving along and look over the edge of the mountain to see the clouds below...

I went to the top of Haleakala 3 times. The first was to watch what I had been told was one of the most beautiful sunsets I would ever see. It was beautiful but I didn't listen to the advice I was given and went up there wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was a little hard to enjoy the sunset when it was 50° outside. So I revised the wardrobe and went up a second time to watch the sunset again, then went up the following morning to see it come up on the other side...

The wedding itself was a blast!!! Everything from the rehearsal dinner to the ceremony and reception was absolutely perfect. Since a picture is worth a thousand words I will just cut this short and post a bunch of pictures...This is what it looks like when we take over a bar...

Ashley gets in on the takeover...

Rob, Blum, Tommy, Chunky, Me, and Rob's Dad at the rehearsal...

The wedding party...

More of the wedding party...

Rob's family...

Rob's sister and nephew...

Rob and Ashley's families...

Ashley's family and friend's families...

Abe and Dorrie and others...

Aaron and Caroline and others...

Uncle Robot(he'll have his own soon enough)...

Tom Selleck eat your heart out...

All I could think of was Old School...

Always the groomsman never the groom...

The reason we were all there...

The entire wedding party...

C'mon admit it you're a little intimidated...

Isn't it romantic...

Lookin' sharp at the reception...

Me, Tommy, and Blum looking good...

My first sunset from the top of Haleakala...

Watching it go down on one side...

And come back up on the other side...

Early morning and thin air, a great combination...

Jaws Fish Tacos really were the best in Maui...

I finally found out where all those annoying people come from...

The best picture I took and my current desktop...

On the next episode of Blog of the Rising Syrmo Goin' Back to Cali & Deep in the Heart of Texas...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i lovethe sunglasses from top gun!


u will look great in them during your marriaghe i mean civil union!

Anonymous said...

hey....I remember the very moment you took "your best pic". AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. what a sight that was. Remember the beautiful red rock behind us?