Friday, July 08, 2005

Frustration is mounting...

Well I am just about fed up with Australia and this whole damn law program here. The public transportation system here in Sydney is crap. They don't run on time if they run at all. Last night I waited 35 minutes for a bus when the schedule indicated there should have been 4 busses in that time. I called to complain today and was told they would review my complaint and call me back. Their system is such a tangle that they acknowledge a delay on one side of town can mess up the schedule for all busses and trains all over town. They plan to make improvements by 2010, at least they know how worthless they are right now.

They have signs everywhere asking me not to litter or throw my cigarette butts on the ground, but there are no trash cans or ashtrays anywhere around this city. I have been told they removed a lot of trash cans for the Olympics, but that was 5 years ago. Sydney likes to think it is an international city, but that is only because it is the biggest in Australia. It is still smaller than Phoenix.

My next beef is with the hostel I am staying at. Once again this morning there was no one to cook breakfast for me. I paid $1580 for room and board. Last time there was no one there to cook breakfast I left them a note letting them know how unhappy I was with the situation. They apologized profusely and told me to call the night manager if it ever happens again. So this morning I called the night manager and the phone at the front desk started ringing. What good does it do me to call an unmanned front desk?

I have given up on eating dinner there because the food is so bad. The only meal I eat there is breakfast because I need the energy to get me through the day. If I am not going to eat there at all THEY WILL PROVIDE ME WITH THE MONEY to buy breakfast elsewhere. They may not know it yet but I will get my moneys worth one way or another.

Then comes my law classes. My Professional Responsibility class is not so bad because at least we cover useful interesting material, even if we do move slow and get sidetracked. But my class on Australian Perspectives on International Law has turned into a class on political indoctrination. We have had at least 8 different teachers 3 of whom only got asked to teach the night before, and had to ask us what we were learning. It is 90% social opinion and 10% international law.

Most of the class has been dedicated to trying to explain to us how evil it is to be a prosperous country. But I think the key will be remembering to regurgitate the crap they are giving me on the final. It may be complete crap but if that is what the people doing the grading want to hear that is what I will spit. Tell a narrow minded person what they want to hear and they will think you are a genius. Besides since these grades will go on my transcript it is worth trying.

To compound it all Liz is out of town for another 2 weeks. She comes back on the 21st and I can't wait. Timing in life is everything and the 21st is the day of my last final. Even better news is that she wants to come visit me in the states. Hopefully she will make it over to see me in AZ where I already have plans on how to spend my time with her. She may even come visit me in NY, could I ask for much more.

Well that is my way of venting and now I feel a lot better. Thanks for taking the time to listen. It means a lot to me that even when I just need to complain you are there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duly noted, young Padawan!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bi A...

Did you know that there is a cable TV station called OLN that has the Tour de France on all the time???

It is so cool being able to watch the stages of the race unfold day by day...

This is one I know you'd love! Go Lance!!!

Glad you had an opportunity to vent... we all need that!

I especially loved your comment on how you are perceived to be a genius when you tell a narrow-minded person what they want to hear... it immediately conjured up images in my mind's eye of how the young Adolf Schicklegroober rose from the Munich beer halls to a seat of power from which he wreaked so much havoc and destruction on humanity!!! The ability to control with no regard for the outcome is truly where the 'dark side' resides!

You are a good man and you must remember, trust the force Grasshopper!!!

Love,

Master Po

Anonymous said...

Is Liz coming to Arizona upon your return???

I'd love to meet the woman who has so captured my son's fancy... she must be pretty special!!! And I promise not to embarrass you by pulling out those baby pictures of you naked!!!

Love,

Dad

Did I make you laugh??? I hope so!!!

Anonymous said...

That is my American son........... no ifs or butts about it, you are it.........got something off yer chest there yung un. Enjoy the day!!! Love you