Saturday, June 25, 2005

It's been a couple of days...

...so let me catch you up on life down under. Seeing as my last post was Thursday afternoon I will start with the Route 69 Pub Crawl Thursday night.

The Bus left the hostel around 7PM and I made it back by 3AM. We had an hour at each bar and some extra time in between for transport. On the way to the first bar we stopped at 2 other youth hostels and picked up a bunch more "kids". At the first bar I had 3 beers and talked Grant (Emily's husband) into doing shots of Tequila with me. They don't have Partron silver here, and by the end of the night I was dong shots of Jose Cuervo (god help me never again). By the time we got to the second bar we were mingling with the other groups and I was up to a six pack and 3 shots. At the 3rd bar they had a bikini contest which I think was mainly for our benefit. That was the nastiest floor I have ever seen, sticky carpets and not in just one spot it was all over. At that bar Grant tried to order a snakebite (shot of tequila) and got some fruity drink that's when Jose stepped in. Thankfully at the next bar (The Cock & Bull) there was a great pizza place next door. But after soaking up the alcohol I only had 10 min to down another couple of VB (Victoria Bitter). The 4th bar served up some kind of butterscotch shot way too sweet for what I had going on so it was more VB and anther shot of Jose. By the time we got to the last bar I was being scolded by a 19 year old English girl for getting too close to one of her friends (damn babysitter). By the end of the night I wasn't crawling, but had a nice little stagger going on. I decided to sleep with my window open and only had 3 1/2 hours to sleep. I woke up 2 hours later with rain pouring into my room. All my clothes were wet, the only dry stuff I had to wear to class was the clothes from the previous night and lots of cologne. I did better than some though because I actually made it to class. I realized after doing some math that I sobered up by the time class was over at 1PM.

Friday afternoon a couple of classmates and I went down to the local sports book to watch that 4th quarter of game 7 of the NBA finals (go Spurs). After that I came back to the hostel and got a couple hours sleep. Later that evening I went into the city to go to the Aquarium with a couple people from the program but ended up going to the IMAX instead. 3D movies should not be the first order of business when you have a hangover.

Last night we went to Telestra Stadium at the Olympic Park to watch the Sydney Swans play the Collingwood Magpies. The Swans won 77-76. It was quite and experience especially since we were sitting in the section next to all the Magpie fans. After the game our group went to the Sidebar for a few drinks. I decided to take off a little before everyone else (11:30PM) so I could get a good nights sleep. That didn't quite go as planned. As I was waiting for the train I started talking to a couple of cute girls who unfortunately happened to be out with their boyfriends (Anton & Koleen and Dario & Maria). By the time they were getting off the train Anton invited me to go to a bar with them and Koleen and Maria grabbed me by the arms and dragged me out of the train. We went to a bar called Industrie and they bought me drinks till 3AM. I just figured what the hell how often am I in Sydney. They were a great bunch of people and Anton made sure we exchanged phone numbers so I will definitely be going out with them again.

Today I picked up my laundry because it is cheaper to get it washed than to do it myself. Now people are trying to rush me off the computer so we can go to Paddy's market. I am leading the expedition because I have been there before and am already comfortable with directions in the city. If I can survive NY anywhere else is a breeze...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So....

Even after all that---
You were not, "knee-walkin' snot-flyin' drunk" eh???
Well, be sure to report back when that happens!!!

Yup...