Monday, June 13, 2005

What a Beautiful City...

I went for a couple of walks today. The first time I went out I stopped for a cheeseburger at a local deli. The burger was big but flat and they used Teriyaki sauce. It was good, a bit of local flavor. I forgot to bring my camera with me though. So I went out for another walk shortly before sunset and got the pictures below. The skyline picture was taken from the base of the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Quite a view for only walking 5 min from my hotel. The skyscrapers are impressive for a city of 4 million. There are more people in NYC than there are in the entire country of Australia. The picture of the Opera House was taken from on the Bridge. There was a tower in one of the bridge's pylons that you can climb for $8.50 but I figured I'd wait for a sunny day and make it worth my while so I'll have to go back. It was a great walk and got the blood flowing. I'm going to go for another walk in a little while to go have dinner at The Mad Greek a local resturaunt that has a huge sign painted on the window that says "Everything $10" but I checked the menu and they lie. Go figure a lying Greek. I am feeling a little better than I was earlier today, and I am really looking forward to class starting so I can get some focus going. I miss home and all my friends and family...

Outside the Wall...
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.

Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall.


Sydney Opera House


Sydney Skyline

I went to The Mad Greek tonight which is now The Mad Greek/Italian. Apparently a few years back they decided to expand the menu and wanted the name to reflect it. I had Lamb Souvlaki with Mashed Potatoes. It was absolutely delicious. I promise not to post anymore meal menus unless they are out of this world. On the way back I caught sight of the harbor at night and it is gorgeous.

In the morning I am getting my hair cut by Judy the lady who runs the hostel. Last night I suffered a horrible clipper accident. The voltage difference caused my clippers to cut twice as fast. That was great until the clippers started to rattle apart and a screw came out and fell down the floor drain. At that point I had only shaved half of my head. I tried to finish the job with a razor but to no avail. Now the back of my head is a patchwork of bald spots. It wouldn't have been so bad except every local barbershop was closed for the Queen's Birthday. Thankfully Judy is a former hairdresser who still has her equipment, and all I need is to make my eyebrows the only hair on my head.

I'm off for my fourth walk today. I'll be back with a night picture of the harbor...

Sydney Harbor at Night

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big A,

Beautiful shots of the opera house!
I guess you inherited that photographic gene from your Mom!

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron,

It's still a strange thing with genes! In the 'Brakema-gene-line' are also people who like to take pictures. And is 'Mom' in this story the same as Riemke?

Regards from Holland, i'm keep reading you!!
Richard

Anonymous said...

Yeah buddy...lol!! I can see it all goin down!! U had my ass rollin on my couch :)

Anonymous said...

WoW!!!