Wednesday, June 15, 2005

State of Origin II

Today I slept in till noon, no particular reason I wasn't up very late but I figured I'd take advantage of the opportunity while I had it. Lord knows it's not something I get to do all the time. I went for a walk this afternoon, but didn't go too far just here in the neighborhood of Kirribilli. I took no pictures and did nothing of note. It was a very nice day if I do say so myself.

Tonight I am watching The State of Origin II. It is an Australian Rules Football game played every year for the past 25 years between New South Wales and Queensland. That would like New York playing New Jersey or Arizona playing New Mexico. There is a football league here but these teams represent their state and play only each other and only play 1 series per year. The series is 3 games (this is the 2nd game hence II) and even if one team wins the first 2 games they still play the 3rd game strictly for pride. The level of pride involved reminds me more of great college rivalries than anything else. NSW won the game tonight and the series will be decided July 6th.

Today I got my grades back from spring semester. The only grade with which I am truly disappointed is my Civil Procedure grade it was worse than constructive failure but better than actual failure (I do not have to retake the class). I was not surprised though because 3 of the 5 credits I earned for civ pro were completed last semester but were not added to my record till this semester. Last semester in civ pro I along with a handful of other people earned 6 out of 50 possible points. Even if I had aced the spring semester it still would have resulted in constructive failure. Knowing this ahead of time gave me strong disincentive to try my hardest and since the grade has been recorded talking with my teacher would be pointless. Perhaps I should have taken a lesson from the State of Origin and played the spring semester for pride. The rest of my grades were OK (no A's) but unless something goes horribly wrong with my one remaining grade I will still be a B- student. Not great, but respectable. Given my history my current goal is to do well enough this summer and next year to bring my GPA up to 3.0 which means from here on out B+ or better is my aim.

Tomorrow I am taking a guided day trip to the Blue Mountains, and I should come back with some exciting pictures. Must remember to charge the camera and clear the memory stick. I need to start getting ready for bed because I have to catch the tour bus at 8AM from Circular Quay (pronounced KAY) and will come back by boat around 6PM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM NOT ANONYMOUS!!!!
My name is: Stavros

Aaron,

Hi... It's your Dad, again!!!
It's really not pronounced KAY... that's just Australian for KEY!!!
I used to wonder what Quay was until I had a chance to hang aroud the Caribbean for awhile...
Then again, come to think of it, it may be that given the Patois (pronounced PAT-WAH) they speak in the Caribbean Islands the word KEY may be just the Caribbean way of saying the Australian word KAY... Of course, on the other hand, I used to say it (KWAY)when I first saw it without hearing it pronounced... Hmmmm, so let me think on that one for awhile!!!

Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh,and one more thing...
Just a little fatherly input (especially when I was feeling kind of goofy in the previous Quay email (or was that email).. I dunno!!!
We should always play hard...
Even when it is 'only for pride'!!!
So go get those grades you want and strive for even more...
A life without passion is no life at all...
So be passionate in whatever you undertake!!!
Make 'em stand up and take notice, not for the grades, not for the money, not for their expectations, but rather for your own expectation of the very best of yourself in all that you do...
End of fatherly advice...

I love you,
Dad